Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A personal post

My brother Harry and his daughter were in Pennsylvania visiting some small town on vacation when that earthquake hit. I hope he's alright.

Harry was shot in the line of duty when I was 19, four years ago. Left him with a permanent limp and a position off the beat, stuck behind a desk. I'd never seen dad so worried, he's a man of iron, never betraying any sense of emotion. But when Harry was shot...he was by his bedside every day until he was able to walk, stayed with him when he did his physical therapy courses. Makes me wonder if dad would do the same for me.

Most people would've tried to leave the force. Not Harry, he had too much pride, stubborn as a rock like dad. Even when he got stuck behind a desk, we never heard him complain, even though we could all see how much it hurt him, plain as day. They finally gave him a months vacation, recommended for years by his therapist.

I think I'll try calling him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment